Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I wonder if there is such as thing as opera stand-by tickets. What about haven't-sold-them-yet-here-you-go-last-minute-tickets? Operatini got me out of the house this rainy evening – so now I know what it takes. I missed the hour of martini drinking and talking, which is good because I didn't know anyone and I'm still amazed when someone I don't know finds me an interesting specter and addresses me. There was a sikh with helmet head and a blonde so dressed to kill I figured she must be in the wrong place. The sikh, I don't know, but the blonde turned out to be the famous lyrical soprano Mary Ellen Schauber. I feel guilty now about giving her my "Who are you?" look. She sings perfectly. I really enjoy great phrasing, strength and perfect pitch. If I had an extra $30 I would have bought a ticket tonight for the performance this weekend. I lust for season tickets.

The non-martini program (no drinks allowed downstairs) was quite good, running the gamut from intellectual analysis of a fable to demonstrations of the ancient art of Comedie del Arte. Talk about your spectrum! Well worth the price of a $5 martini (not required).

I discovered that I don't really like martinis unless they are flavored with banana or apple or chocolate. I hate gin. So although James Bond will talk to me there's no chance of a long-term affair. ::::sigh:::: It's incredible that people have been writing for centuries but have only just discovered the emoticon.

Next event: the VCU Friends of the Library lecture. They know I'm coming now and are quite okay with it. In fact, I may be forced to talk to someone since Kim told me she's looking forward to seeing me there.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails