Monday, December 06, 2004

Each year I put a little note in the Christmas decorations box so I remember what I need to get when I open it up the next year. In 2002 I had a life altering experience when my companion of 14 yeas suddenly abandoned me. That year my list included life skills as well as ornament suggestions.

Suggestions for a Happier Christmas (2002)

  1. Plan the meal now! It is important. If you can't decide - call Ukrops today!
  2. Have some friends over. Plan it now. Just invite them and see what happens.
  3. Get videos from Blockbuster (or someplace like that).
  4. Determine outside lighting.
  5. Christmas eve is a good time to make the tacky light tour - no traffic.
  6. Realize that this is a time for annual reflection. It's normal to be a little depressed.
  7. Good activities: a walk, a fire, movies, calling Mom and the siblings & the kids & friends/acquaintances.
  8. Take lots of pictures. The bad ones can be deleted.
  9. If you haven't make a Christmas card, buy some now. Remember, it costs $20 to do cards this year. Do you need to publish a personal message? Do you have one that's worth it?
  10. Consider artificial tree. The real one looks like a carcass after the holidays. (btw-big garlands hide tree lights)

    In 2003 I added:
  11. Plan a party for the new year - like the first friday or something. There's a let down you must prepare for.
  12. Buy new mantle cover. Snow man? Whatever!


I'm still without an SO for the holidays. But I'm used to that now. In fact, I'm really used to being alone. I went to a party with a friend a couple of weeks ago and it was weird. I forgot that sometimes I have to wait until the other person is ready. That I can't just flow around when others are involved. There's all that communicating and coordinating. It's not bad. I'd just forgotten about it. I'd forgotten how much time gets used that way.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails