Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Blogger interface has a spell checker but I'm not sure it works. Every time I use it I get the spell check window with "undefined" in it. Maybe it's because I'm on a Mac with Safari. More reliable is using TextEdit to compose and spell check. I suppose I could use Pages but that would be overkill.

A lot has happened in the blog world since I started blogging. I was blogging before it was a word, actually. My involvement started with using Gopher and message boards. I'm amazed at how many still use news groups to interact. However, for basic text messaging you can't beat it. It's easy to use and a lot like email: everybody gets it.

After groups I got into websites. Kind of a leap but that's how it was back in 1995. I built my first site for the company I worked for. It was fun. There were no standards and the only restrictions were imposed by the limits of the web. Most sites were just billboards. I think my boss looked at the site maybe once or twice. I'm sure that's not the case now. In tandem with that project I also developed my first personal site. It was about 3 pages of mostly text.

Then I discovered eZines. I created a zine that I still publish about quarterly. It's pretty aimless but it keeps me off the streets.

Next came blogging. Blogger was about all there was. Sure there were some other options but they were all more technically involved than I wanted to be. I started my love affair with Webmonkey about this time. Thank goodness for their blog review. It convinced me to stay with Blogger. Writing is what I like to do. The technical stuff is just a means to an end.

Just about that same time my daughter got into Bravenet. She developed a Backstreet Boys site, with a guest book and other features plugged in, that logged thousands of hits per day and even made her a little money. I was forced to upgrade my hosting package just to accommodate it. (Although her site has been totally removed for 5 years it still gets about 10 hits a day.) I thought Bravenet was cute and very smart but for kids. I kept on blogging.

In the last couple of years there has been a blogging explosion. Bravenet offers easy journaling as does AOL. You can blog with just about anybody now. I've just rediscovered Live Journal which reminds me a lot of Bravenet except that it's for adults—I mean it's a got a more sophisticated look. Works a lot like Bravenet, though. I'm seriously considering starting yet another journal. I've never had a real topic and it's worked for me. Suppose I should mull over why I have so many journals/blogs and why they aren't all in one big spot. Hmmmm.

Song of the Day: I Know You're Out There Somewhere, Moody Blues
I Know You're Out There Somewhere
If it doesn't work right the first time, try again.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails