Monday, July 04, 2005

Internet TV

If, like me, you chose not to stay up until 1 am to see the NASA impact on the comet Tempel 1, you can get the info here. I watched the first 30 minutes of today's 2 p.m. news conference on NASA TV, which is totally my idea of great TV: on demand. Well, not the news conference so much but the recorded TV shows that run non-stop when nothing else is going on. More than that it would be nice to go and get a show anytime I felt like it. I watched portions of Live 8 on ABC and then tried to watch specific musicians (okay, Sting) on AOL Music. I suspect AOL has a cheap server because I couldn't watch a single performance online right after the event concluded. I kept getting a "File not found" kind of error. That was after I was told AOL did not support Safari (!) and that I had to use the AOL Browser. I downloaded and installed the latest AOL software which, just like previous versions, locked up my machine after quitting. I am not a fan of AOL. NASA reported billions of hits on their servers as a result of the Tempel 1 impact. Note that I had no trouble getting to any NASA site, watching video or NASA TV and they support Safari. Some really smart people hang with NASA.

I am a fan of science, so, if you are a non-scientist, try The Planetary Society. If you're a scientist, why not work for NASA? If you are an engineer working for AOL, how about fixing some of the dumb stuff?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails