Monday, July 11, 2011

365: Sky 108 - plastic sky

Today's sky is from Sal Federico, who was my Art Foundation instructor at Virginia Commonwealth University many years ago. Sal was all about plastic space, an esoteric concept which is either dying in obscurity or thriving secretly in the hearts of artists everywhere. It's a concept I liked. I've used it all of my professional life. So, I will try to make what I see apparent to you.

Although Sal's works look abstract (and, well, they are – on one level) they are also representational. When I look at his work I see the sky between sky-scraping buildings as seen when looking straight up. 

I'm not sure if it's okay to post an image, so follow this link to the piece that is perhaps the easiest to interpret. While you're there, look through his entire portfolio.

Here's a photo of the sort of view I'm describing. Maybe it will help.
PIttsburgh, July 2009

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails