Sunday, October 28, 2007

Time Waits For Everyone - An Opinion

As I listened to Viggo Mortensen's piano poems, these words came to mind: tentative, exploratory, meditative, dissonant. Like good poems they blend into the time continuum. This music is a comforting backdrop for quiet activities like writing, meditating, laying on your back gazing at the stars, and watching the sun filter through the trees. I am vaguely reminded of Poulenc. There are rhythms that remind me of of Ravel. There is also a thinness (or transparency) in the style of Leon Russell.

These pieces are a quilt of quiet musings. For some reason I got the picture of a lover waiting for his love to wake as he patiently sits in the next room picking out the notes of his affection. I also thought of rain drops sliding down glass or dripping off trees (for example). If you like ambient music, you will like this CD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine.

It's funny. It wasn't until I saw the LOTR movies that I became aware of this man. I had no idea why I felt a kinship with him. It's a strange sensation to perceive something about a person yet not perceive the reason why. It's a trait, moving on some unseen level, below the soil of the soul.

It wasn't until I began to read about Viggo, and discovered a couple of his personal quirks, that I realized where this sense of similarity came from. I, too, like trees more than people, and spending time with just myself.

Now there is another discovery; his music. And so we share yet another trait in common - we are both artists. I love to have some type of soothing music in the background when I do my artwork so I am looking forward to adding this CD to my background ensemble.

Elaine Greywalker said...

Thanks for the comment. It is just those similarities (which I also share) that made me so hostile about "Eastern Promises" and showed me that I really know nothing about Mr. Mortensen. This knowledge has impinged somewhat on my enjoyment of his artistic works and brought a lot of clear-eyed detachment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails