Monday, June 12, 2006

A Name by Any Other Name

Yo! 80's chicks and dudes: Enough already with "eponymous"! Can we have "self-titled" back? It's a lot simpler and won't cause me to consult two dictionaries and read three pages of Wikipedia. For those of you preferring directness and short lists here's a list of eponyms.

I'm guessing the instigator of this invasion is R.E.M. with their Eponymous album which they could have simply named R.E.M. – Dreams. Or maybe they were short on euphemisms and epithets? Stick that in your GRE Exam and see what comes out!

Maybe I missed the memo about a contest to see how many ways the word can be used? Or is it code for "I remember when" and "I'm so cool"? Oh, wait, I get it! We're all intellectuals now instead of freaky, big-haired lounge lizards. Warning! In the big homogenization movement you may find the word banned ... or obligatory. Either way.

P.S. Do a search for eponymous in Google News and be gagged by how many times the word comes up. If only I had a copper for every instance ...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails