Sunday, March 04, 2007

Punk/Metal with Hank

Another happy thing has plopped into my life. It's WBAR, the college station of Barnard College. I've been trying to catch Hank on Sundays for some time but I've always seem to have Sunday noon covered and totally forget about WBAR. Today I hit it. I'm putting decorative film on the bedroom window and WBAR is a great distraction.

Hank's show interests me because it's a sort of essay on Punk/Metal rock and I've never really fully appreciated this particular genre. However, listening to the show I discovered that I do have a bit of understanding as I like the Cars and they were (according to Hank) a punk group. I also like the Sex Pistols but I can't say I really understand them.

So far I've enjoyed Eddie and the Hotrods "Do what you wanna do" and Syd Barrett "Two of a Kind." Great show. Go listen. Chuck Barry is doing the "My Ding A Ling" sing along.

I promise to listen to other shows as they will fit more easily into my schedule and I totally believe that the college radio needs a place to be. Every college must have a radio staion. Must.

I used to get my musical updates from my own college students but sadly they've all moved out. So, kids, feel free to mail me a list of your lastest favorites. You know how to reach me. :-)

7 comments:

Drama Queen said...

I very much admire your quest to always keep expanding your mind. You are defo more 'finger on the youth pluse' than me and I'm only 26.

I'm sure you can pass a few musical musings my way. . .

Elaine Greywalker said...

What music do you like?

Drama Queen said...

I suppose rock would be my domain but not heavy. I like the Killers, Captain, Foos, Razorlight, Chilis.

I am open to everything. BF was in a band for years, hence he is a totaly muso and I can't escape his influence.

I find it harder to stay on top of new artists because Brussels is so far behind. On everything.

Elaine Greywalker said...

Thanks for the list! I looked them up in iTunes (I rarely go anywhere else anymore). Couldn't find the Foos or Chilis but bought a three track album by Captain (Glorious). Bought one tune by The Killers (Who Let You Go - iTunes version). Sampled some Razorlight tracks and I liked what I heard. Sort of Cars/David Bowie/Oasis structured a bit like Leon Russell. I was alarmed by the "Explicit" label, but didn't hear anything explicit in the samples (not like Lily Allen's "explicit"). I think you're doing fine in Brussels. btw, My brother was in a band and still plays drums.

Drama Queen said...

Oh and try ‘The Kooks’ and ‘The Feeling’ also.

Oh and how could I forget the brilliant ‘The Editors’ *slaps wrists* (try ‘all sparks’)

And its always worth going through ‘U2s’ archives,

Drama Queen said...

Oh. Did my list get eaten? I posted it this morning.

I didn’t realise you were asking me for suggestions.

I said to try myspace first (you know about myspace eh?). There are free demos on there without having to download.

Anyway, try:


Snowpatrol (best album is ‘final straw’ and first single on album is good as is ‘Run’)

Arctic Monkeys (biggest band in UK right now – try single ‘Dancefloor’)

Try ‘My Chemical Romance’ and let me know what you think – I am undecided.

Also ‘Fallout boy – again decided.

For acoustic tracks try Palo Nutini (try single ‘Last Request’). He gets a lot of grief but he can be quite nice.

Razorlight – I like ‘Golden Touch’ single

Killers ‘When we were young’ single.


Ps sorry Foos = Foo Fighters, Chilis =Red Hot Chili Peppers – but I am sure you know about them already.

Elaine Greywalker said...

Thanks for reposting. Have no idea what happened to your previous list. Yes, I have heard of the Foo Fighters but am not familiar with their music. There is only one track by the Red Hot Chili Peppers that I like and it's totally unlike all their other music. I'm sure you can guess which one it is!

U2 is like my favorite group, second only to The Beatles.

Thanks for the tip about myspace. I do know about it but have not deeply investigated. Rock on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails