Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Shakespeare Wallah

I have played many great dramatic roles in my time.
Manjula
Scene from Shakespeare Wallah
I've watched at least 256 movies. That's how many I've rated at Blockbuster Online. All along I've been following the actors and actress. I've followed Meryl Streep, Orlando Bloom, Hugh Grant, Hugh Jackson, Renee Zellweger, John Wayne, Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, and lately Viggo Mortensen, to name a few.

This year for Mother's Day one of my sons gave me the complete DVD animated collection of "Aeon Flux" (because he a smart guy). I watched everything and discovered Peter Chung, the genius behind Aeon Flux. Peter not only did the art he also created the stories. Over the summer I watched "Venus." It was an interesting story and struck me in much the same way that "Slaves of New York" had. All three movies have a sort of eeriness or wildness about them which led me to focus on story.

Once I started focusing on story I found other movies by the script writer who had written "Venus." They seemed a bit more over the edge than I was comfortable with. So I turned to my most favorite movie of all time, "Slaves of New York", and focused on direction.

The director, James Ivory, was a hit. I've got a list of movies in my Blockbuster Queue that he directed. Shakespeare Wallah is the last one I watched.

James Ivory (and Ismail Merchant) makes movies about unusual people living ordinary lives. "Slaves of New York" is about artists making a living. "Shakespeare Wallah" is about actors making a living. They're both sympathetic and honest tales. Another of his movies, "Five Forty-Eight," has the same quiet, matter-of-fact tone showing ordinary people doing mildly insane things as if they were everyday occurrences.

I'm not really sure how the tone is conveyed. Maybe it's the eye level camera or the straight on angles or the inclusion of everyday details in the frame. There's also something in the low-key delivery of the actors and actresses. As if James were making a documentary.

Actors do bring a lot to a part, especially talented, well-trained and experienced actresses/actors. I can't say who brings how much. Earlier today I was playing around with Director=75% Actress/Actor=25%. Well, there has to be a part for the writer, of course. Actually, I think there has to be a troop, a regular bunch of people who come together to produce similar stories.

It's all about knowing what to watch. I'm still having a hard time at the video rental store. Perhaps after watching a few more Ivory Merchant Productions I'll have an easier time of it. Just pulling out movies that are similar, like "Blade Runner" (my second favorite movie or is it "Defending Your Life" which I have watched more times than any other movie?) and "Memories" doesn't work. And never tell me, "You'll like this. It's much better than X."

I know. It's a stupid problem but it's my problem and I'm going to keep working on it.

1 comment:

Elaine Greywalker said...

Actually, Mr. Ivory's stories are about environment as much as they are about characters. Which is why I like them so much. I can really get into human nature and its many facets by watching these stories. You rock Mr. Ivory! ... and Mr. Merchant, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails