Wednesday, November 26, 2008

me, only sicker

One of the horrible situations one finds oneself in when one lives alone is being ill with no one to attend you. I'm not talking about life threatening illness (for which relatives come out of the woodwork), I mean the ordinary everyday sort of sickness like a really, really bad cold, such as the one I have today. It has been coming on for days now and I didn't know it. I was ambushed yesterday and lay in bed and watched movies most of the day and night. Today is the same only worse.

Yesterday I had to haul my sick self out and purchase cold remedies. It had been so long since the last time I had a cold I couldn't remember what decongestant worked best. I remembered Nyquil, that blessed elixir of pain free deep sleep. So I got some healing sleep last night.

Today, however, I needed someone to riffle through my clothes and find soft warm things to put on after a lovely hot bath with epsom salts and euchilyptus oil. Someone to clean the tub first and run the water. Someone to find warm soft towels. Someone to care for the dog and do the dishes. Someone to sweep the floors which suddenly look germ infested. Someone to change out the smelly sheets for clean fragrant ones. Someone to run out to the video shop and find consoling humorous films to distract me.

You know, someone to cater to my every whim. I am, after all, the sick one. I know what will make me feel better. Right now it seems as if a moderate walk with the dog in the cool fresh sunshine would be lovely. I may actually do that.
Current Fads
Listening. recently purchased tunes (unpublished); a pin drop (everyone has left for Thanksgiving)
Watching. The Man With One Red Shoe (1993)
Activity. treading the sloppy wandering path of recovery from a rediculously brutal cold I do not deserve; fearfully watching the days go by and the word count needed to finish my novel draft by the end of the month multiply
Gadget. anything that plays movies
News Source. you gotta be kidding me
Reading. amusing detective novels by Simon Brett

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must be one of the relatives that "came out of the woodwork". A bit passive-agressive, don't you think? Anyway, if I feel the need to come out of the woodwork again to step into a situation that is not being handled properly, I will do it. After all, 25 years of nursing must be good for something. :)

Elaine Greywalker said...

You see yourself as being in the woodwork? That's not how I see you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails