Saturday, November 15, 2008

novel writing statistics

I'm up to 15,561 words as of this precise moment. I'm ignoring the internal editor with a vengeance and even writing some things on purpose just to make her cringe. Ha! Ha!

I love the statistics page. I love seeing precisely how many words I've written and how many I need to write each day to make it to 50,000. I also like seeing how many days it will take me to finish at my current pace. I like it because even though the statistics are right they are wrong. You can't predict my novel writing behavior from what I've done in the past. I know that I will catch up (at least I'm assuming I will because I have in the past). I plan to catch up. I plan to make the goal no matter what it takes. Last year it took more than one 5,000 word day. This year I am (again!) trying to keep up and even get ahead. I'm not sure but might be that huge rolling stone of words left to write giving me the momentum I need to keep going.

I also like the process. I had no plan when I started writing. I simply began typing and a story presented itself. The story evolves on it's own. I open up and let the story out. That's all it takes.

Last year one of my motivations was having a donation page on FirstGiving where some of my family members had donated to my little write-a-thon. So, I had to finish. This year I'm just writing. I plan to finish, though. I've written it here so it must be happening.

You can find out more about this year's novel by clicking on the mini-graph on the right.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails