Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Mensa Annual Gathering (AG) Begins!

I've been to my first three sessions/workshops/talks. Not sure what to call them. They aren't lessons and they aren't really about practical stuff like workshops. So, whatever!

All three, "Reversing Accelerated Aging: How I Gained 40 Years of Life", "Decisions in Context: What Goes Into A Good (Or Bad) Decision?", and "What Makes a Good Science Fiction Story", have been good and packed with excellent information. The third one not as much.

In the third session I attended, the presenter admitted his definition was more about his opinion about what makes a good Science Fiction story than any sort of empirical study. Also, he seemed to think there is only one type of science fiction story and, well, there is comedy science fiction, romance science fiction, horror science fiction, etc. He brought in a lot of interesting clips and images, which was nice. He also talked about his triangle model: information, people, technology which is, I think, something he got from his place of employment. I did get a short list of books I need to read and movies I need to see. I also saw how nebulous the science fiction category is and why it's beginning to develop niches.

The most practical of the three was "Reversing Aging." The presenter told us that the basic program of exercises (kinda like flow yoga) is free on YouTube. I need to search on Scott Sonnon and find them. His website is rmaxinternational.com with more info.

The decisions session was about personal decision making and revolved around the three main ingredients for a good decision or ways to discover a good decision: information, inclination (what I think of a motivation), and resources. No decisions is good enough if you don't have enough information, aren't motivated to act on the information or you don't have the resources to follow through.

My head is getting that stuffy feeling from information overload, which is why I'm here blogging now instead of moving on to the next session I planned to attend. I need a break already! I'm sure my brain will be either as dry as a bone or as stuffed as a sausage by Sunday. I hope I keep remembering to take breaks and do non-intellectual stuff occasionally.

Tips for Talking to Mensans
If you want to have a pleasant conversation with Mensans never bring up two topics: food or Windows. The mention of either one of these two topics will derail any planned program or eliminate any other topic you were pursuing. Especially Windows, which I find incredibly boring because I stick to my Mac and Apple OS. The other topic you should probably steer away from is people who are intellectually challenged. There is a large amount of intolerance for those people and some Mensans love to vent.

On the other hand, you must pack a lot of information into any statement and don't breathe or someone will jump in with their opinion. Not really a bad thing, unless you are a speaker trying to reach a goal.

So far so good. No presentations derailed yet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails