Monday, November 13, 2006

the pause that refreshes

Writing a novel in 30 days is much like the time-hungry days before the holidays when everything has to be crammed into two minutes. Suddenly the dust bunnies and rolling balls of dog hair must be cleaned up this minute. And not just the obvious ones by the front door but the entire world population under my bed. All must go, now. Before NaNoWriMo that chore was something that would never get done. Now I have novel writing to avoid and the chore looks glorious by comparison. What a great idea to watch "Shrek" for the 13th time when only last month re-watching any old movie from my library was a onerous task.

Ah the joys of writing! How it focuses the mind and reprioritizes life. Yummy.

What lures me back into the novel-writing frontier is the thought that my plot will twist like a cobra with ululations that I would never imagine. The writing will hypnotize me and magically turn hours into minutes. Well, almost. That and the thought of getting my word count up. And that I may actually accomplish it. Gee, I may actually be a novel writer by the end of the month. What could happen then is one of three things:

  1. I will have a 50,000 word piece of junk on my hands.

  2. I will have the first draft of a publishable novel.

  3. Something in between.


Promise to let you know which it is.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails