Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Late Bird Report: The Prestige

Ticket Line: very short
Audience: 30-40 somethings and a few late 20 somethings
Capacity: 95%
Balcony: closed
Organ Recital: An unrelated raft of tunes from "She's a Grand Old Flag" to "Dream the Impossible Dream."
Report: I have arrived at the far scale of opposites a lot sooner than I planned. At the beginning of the movie I was happy to discover a group of performers I truly enjoy watching: Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Andy Serkis, and Scarlett Johansson. It was nice seeing David Bowie but he didn't look like David Bowie. He looked like another actor who's name I can't recall. So that was odd and sort of topical for the show. I've heard that playing doubles is the most challenging act. Well, there were two doubles in the show not to mention the 100 extras generated by the Tesla machine. This is a highly disturbing film. I was near catatonic at the end, barely able to walk out the front door. Just when I think a person can stoop no lower I am stunned into belief at just how low they can go. Official Site Well worth seeing (the movie and the site) with tons of excellent acting, very convincing period costumes and scenery, and only mildly disorienting flash back and forths.
Analogy: freak show
Will I buy the DVD? No. But this is definitely one that you can watch more than once.
Will I watch it again if it bites me? Yes.

Visit and support The Byrd Theatre. No commercials. No previews.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails