Saturday, February 17, 2007

even better is the real thing

I enjoy reading Mr. Mortenson's public blog, Perceval Press's "In Other Words", which is interspersed with snippets of poetry from writers that presumably Mr. Mortenson feels a connection with. There's a sort of chaotic anarchy in the placement of the poems interspersing news items about politically incorrect happenings. His blog is almost like a work of art, which it wouldn't be if Mr. Mortenson were something of a normal person. If he were normal I guess he would have become a doctor like his other family members.

Anyway, Mr. Mortenson's blog would be more effective if he were to comment on the news items rather than just post them. I suppose the poetry could be construed as comments but it's too esoteric for me (if they are indeed meant to be comments on the news items) and if I don't get it then about 90% of his readers don't get it. Except maybe for those who know him intimately and they don't need the blog to know how he's going. Also, it would be very helpful if Mr. Mortenson took time from his busy schedule to translate the items in Norwegian, Spanish and whatever that other language is into English. I, for one, am still dying to know what the socialized health plan in Sweden has to do with "health shoes" and old people. PP did not reply to an email request for more information.

I sure hope these changes are made because as much as I enjoy being informed of news that really matters, I'd enjoy it even more and would perhaps find it more motivational if I knew what I was reading – in particular, what Mr. Mortenson would have us see. Otherwise, I'm sure I will lose interest entirely. Or is that the point? As a former Art instructor once said about a vague allegorical painting, "If you're going to pontificate, then be clear about it."

Side Note: After reading Mr. Fisk's article about diseased language, I'm afraid to use the word "workshop" but have yet to come up with a suitable alternative. Suggestions?

Current Fads
Listening. my iMixes/Playlists 60's (mostly The Beatles) and For The Road (unpublished); ringing in ears
Watching. Aeon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection (Director's Cut) (1995 originals remastered for 2005) and K-PAX (2001)
Activity. learning how to sleep
Gadget. Palm Zire 31
News Source. the news feeds in Safari and Perceval Press
Reading. Misery Loves Maggody - Joan Hess; The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers - John Gardner; Writing the Breakout Novel - Donald Maas; The Wisdom of No Escape - Pema Chodron; Wired; MacWorld; Fortune. (Yes, I really am reading them all right now – I'm a reading addict. What can I say?)

2 comments:

Drama Queen said...

You are reading all those books and still have time for blogging?!

Elaine Greywalker said...

Yes, indeed I do. But it sure cuts into my drinking and partying time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails