Thursday, June 24, 2010

100 Degree Weather - a Natural Dryer

I don't have a washer and dryer. My local Laundromat does not have air conditioning. In fact, I have as yet to discover one that does. It gets pretty hot inside with the dryers running when it's a mere 70 degrees outside. So, I thought I would take advantage of the heat and wash clothes in the bathtub and then hang them out. Good idea. After the first load I changed my mind. Would have been a great idea if I were 20 years younger.

Although the whole idea was to avoid cooking myself, I also thought I might do something earth-friendly. It took three full bathtubs of water to do one load (one soap, two rinses). A machine would have been more efficient. But then it would also have used electricity. I'm hoping I reduced some of my carbon footprint by hanging the laundry out to dry. I hung them out around 10:30 a.m. By 2 p.m. they were bone dry (except for the dress). Excellent!

They aren't as soft or smooth as putting them in the dryer with a dryer sheet, but the smell is heaven! Next time (tomorrow?) I'm going to use the machine to wash and then the natural dryer. Care to know how it turns out?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails